Day Seven - Everyone needs motivation
If you have self-doubt, sometimes it can be hard to get the motivation you need to accomplish things in life. But, you can become more motivated if you work towards understanding your self-doubt. Most of the time, self-doubt is not founded on anything to do with reality. It’s just your own negative talk in your head that keeps you from doing the things you need to do.
These tips on how to find motivation when you have self-doubt will help you get past it and make things happen.
* Act as If – You’ve likely heard the idea that "faking it till you make it" works. This is actually very true, but you don’t need to fake anything. Just do what you want to do, and go through the motions that you know you need to go through in order to get to where you want to go. Eventually, your confidence will kick in as you experience more success.
* Set a Small Goal – For example, if you want to be more motivated to eat right or exercise, choose one thing to change. Stop drinking anything with sugar to start with, or start parking at the end of the parking lot to get in more steps. These very small changes can lead to even bigger changes when you experience success with the small goal.
* Look for Inspiration – Whether it’s books, blogs, movies or something else, surround yourself with motivating information. Get rid of things that take away your motivation - whether that’s negative TV shows such as news, or drugs and alcohol. The more inspiration you can find, the better.
* Get Pumped – Let yourself get excited about doing something instead of being fearful. For example, if you’re going on a first date, imagine it going well instead of all the things that can go wrong. You’ll end up walking into the date looking happy and calm instead of nervous and awkward. If you have a goal for something, always envision succeeding.
* Tell Others about Your Goal – One way to get motivated is to tell others, who can then hold you accountable to your goals about them. Often this can be better if it’s a life coach or someone who is a very positive and loving person in your life. Be careful who you task with this so you don’t get demotivated.
* Stick with It – Small steps can help you get to any goal that you have set. You can’t go on a trip across the country without first getting out of your driveway. Everything takes time and if you stick with it, you’ll find the journey gets easier as you keep doing more to reach your goal.
* Let Go of Negative Thoughts – One thing that can get in the way of you reaching your goals is negative thoughts. When you see everything from a negative standpoint first, it can be hard to see the positives and get motivated. It helps to learn to turn any negative thoughts into positive ones by rewording the thoughts. Turn "this is hard" to "this is a wonderful challenge".
Getting motivated starts with experiencing small successes and trying to see the world through a positive lens. The more you do it, the more natural it becomes and the more motivated you are to live your life to the fullest.
Think of a recent small success you had, then imagine all the positive things that could have happened as a result. Have fun with it!
Everyone comes across failure sooner or later - it's how you deal with it that makes all the difference. We'll talk about that next time.
If you are someone that is juggling a business or online presence with everything else in your life, I encourage you to take a look at this online course. She covers time blocking, motivation and so much more.
The Entrepreneur Formula was crafted to cover all the bases when it come to accomplishing more in less time - so you can be free to enjoy your life.